Each year, U.S. fire departments respond to more than 250 home fires that began with Christmas trees. According to the National Fire Protection Association, electrical failures or malfunctions were involved in one-third of the home fires that started with Christmas trees, and one in five occurred because a heat source was too close to the tree.
Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat source, such as fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights. Use only lights that have the label of an independent testing laboratory and make sure to know whether they are designed for indoor or outdoor use. Those displaying an artificial tree should make sure it is labeled, certified or identified by the manufacturer as fire-retardant.
A moist tree is less likely to catch fire than a dry one, so when choosing a fresh tree, make sure the green needles don’t fall off when touched, which will indicate the tree is dry. To keep the tree moist during the holidays, cut 1-2 inches from the base of the trunk and add water to the tree stand. Continue to water the tree daily.
Reposted from riskconversion.com, by Scott Spencer.